12 x 12 | materials patterned paper (Basic Grey) + alpha stickers (Echo Park, Lilybee, Pebbles) + notebook journaling card (Elle's Studio) + corner punch (Fiskars) + "10 Things" stamp (Close to My Heart) + label stamp (Technique Tuesday) + puffy cloud stickers (American Crafts) + various stickers from my "Words" drawer + font (Samo Sans)
A Note from Amy
Grouping a bunch of word stickers together is one of my favorite techniques lately.
So here I am, at the place I've sort of been afraid of ever since I knew you were a boy: the mom of a teen-age son. Why afraid? Because most of what I knew about teenage boys I learned from...well, the teenage boys I knew in high school, and it wasn't a pleasant education. Not having had brothers or any boy cousins I was close to, nor any older nephews, teenage boys seemed like alternate life forms to me. I just didn't know what to expect or how I'd handle stuff.
And of course, there've been mistakes. (Like the time I was so mad I threw a block of Velveeta at you.)
But for the most part it's gone surprisingly well so far. Mostly because you're a good kid. Sure, you play too many video games and I harp on you about it. But we get along. We care how each other feels. And we can still talk and laugh together (the key to any good relationship, really). Plus there are these ten things I didn’t expect:
1. You always accept my apologies.
2. You apologize to me when you need to.
3. Your smile (the true one that is nearly impossible to catch with the camera) melts my heart.
4. You whistle when you're happy, which means I can also tell if you're unhappy about something.
5. You're not afraid to hug me goodbye, even at 15.
6. Sometimes I have to push a little to get you to talk, but it's always worth it because you'll eventually open up and tell me what's bothering you.
7. You are easygoing about most things and only dig in your heels for the stuff that's really important to you.
8. The secret to getting you to cooperate is to give you a reason to do the thing you don't want to do.
9. Life has let you hold on (so far) to your unique Jakey tender-heartedness. I hope you never lose it.
10. You really aren't an alien. Just a boy who wants to love and be loved, and everything else will fall in place.
July Fun Fact
Sometime this month, neighbors will start bringing tomatoes, peaches, and various types of squash to me from their gardens. I can't wait to make a big batch of fried zucchini.