"The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows." —Sydney J. Harris, American journalist (1917-1986)
"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers." —Edgar W. Howe, American novelist, newspaperman, and magazine editor (1853-1937)
No matter what your feelings are about a new school year, it's an undeniable fact: the excitement and anticipation of a new school year is electric. And for scrapbookers? The promise of new school supplies alone is enough to send chills of delight up our spines. (It's OK, you're not alone). We're thrilled to present our "Back To School" gallery to the right—in it you'll find inspiration and more than a few touching pages about the end of summer as we know it and the beginning of a year filled with promise, homework, and brand-new boxes of Crayolas.
What do we have in store for you this month?
• ideas to get you writing about your innermost feelings as your monkeys step back on the bus
• lists to help you document your own elementary, middle, or high school experiences
• how to keep journaling short and sweet (but long on meaning)
• unique twists on traditional "back-to-school" layouts that keep journaling fresh and original
• incorporating the staple of the middle school experience: notes to and from friends
• useful lessons on scanning and repairing heritage photos
• creative ways to use your school-related photos beyond the scrapbook page
• inspiring examples of back-to-school "then and now" photography
• unique ways to photograph the school day
• clever tips, techniques, and lessons on how to stretch your supplies
• new sketches and design inspiration
• fun ideas for children not yet old enough to attend school
• chances to learn something new
• school supplies for grownups (because a little strategic shopping never hurt anyone's scrapbooking)
• an exciting and inspiring new site feature coming soon! You won't want to miss it...
Here's to a school year that makes you (and your children) jump for joy. We'll be scrapbooking it right along with you!
Check back later today for another post by the talented and funny Erin Sweeney!