Vicki, I do NOT print photos at home. I probably could, but I love my photo processor so much that I just keep going there. (I use a local camera shop to develop my pictures, called Kenny's, and they do a great job getting the color just right.)
To keep track of my journaling, I usually write it on the computer. I have a folder with each of my kids' names and one for me, too. I just type up the journaling and save it there. (I always write my journaling first, before I do much of anything else for my layouts.)
My goal with every LRN layout I make is to preserve life RIGHT NOW. So I tend to put aside the other stuff I'm working on for a couple of days to focus. By doing that I feel like I also preserve other things...my current scrapping style, for example, and current trends. Also my way of thinking, if that makes sense.
OK, on to today's subject: making a LRN layout with a journaling survey.
Otherwise known as a meme, a journaling survey gives your thoughts some structure. It's simply a list of questions that you ask your subject. I have a journaling survey I use every year on each of my kids' birthdays, but I also use them on LRN layouts. What I love about a survey is how it gets your kids involved in the layout process. I literally sit my kids down and have them answer the questions. I've even had them answer a journaling survey or two with my computer headset on, so I could make an mp3 file. (I guess that turns them into interviews!)
This is one of my kids' favorite things to do. I think they like it because it reminds them that I value their words and opinions and thoughts. They're also something they love to look back on. It is a fun experience to have together!
Where do the surveys come from? I have memes pop up every once in awhile in my email, and I'll save those to use on a layout. I also stumble across them on blogs. You'll spot them in scrapbooking magazines sometimes, and on scrapping websites. Plus, here at Write. Click. Scrapbook. of course! Here's a list of summer questions you can ask your kids:
- What’s your favorite flavor of cool drink?
- Describe your swimming-pool style:
- What’s your favorite book you’ve read this summer?
- Describe this year’s swimsuit:
- What color are your flip flops?
- Describe your favorite place to read in the summer:
- What’s your favorite ice cream?
- Describe your favorite thing about summer:
- What are you looking forward to about school starting?
- Describe your favorite summer meal:
- What is your favorite spot in the yard?
- Describe your daily routine:
- What’s your favorite flower?
- Describe your favorite pair of shorts:
- What does summer smell like?
And a layout showing you one way you can use the survey to make a LRN layout:
And a .pdf file so you can print your own summer survey journaling cards:
Download Summer survey cards color (the color version)
Download Summer survey cards black (black and white)
Hope you have a great day!